Friday, August 21

Origin of Worlds - Part 1

Before I start to confuse any who'll read this blog with random insights and stories that might seem to have no connection to each other, I decided to prologue a smidgen here and liberate what I have never put in writing before: How Worlds came to be. It's kind of a jumble, though. Not so very high-caliber journalism here...

Once upon a time there was a little three-year-old boy with an abundance of imagination and a lack of available imaginative friends. To that boy, this wasn't at all a problem, for he simply created a world in which he'd have friends and adventures any time he wanted. (my parents didn't worry about this because it's actually very common in young children) The boy, myself, had an older brother who soon "joined in". My brother, however, had slightly different interests than I did. While I had one imaginary comrade that was an elephant, one that was a vacuum, (whom I so obliviously named "Suck-Up") and one that was made entirely out of wood, (but would light himself on fire to scare away bad guys) Josh's characters were, I guess, more realistic. (Although the Hirah, one of his first official species, originally had spider-man-esque powers.)

Josh and I would team up on many occasions to fight against a common enemy. Names like "Quirillian", (had not yet seen Star Wars) "Mya"(didn't know a lick about ancient civilizations), and "Xzhar" popped up in this stage as we slowly developed a basic storyline. Those names, which I had come up with, (and even spelled!) weren't really used in "The Game", as it was called, but I still held on to them for future use. We were at a very early stage in the development of our growing epic universe, and later on we'd realize with age how preposterous some of our ideas are, and we'd reform and change them.

When Kindergarten came I found real live friends who weren't girls and didn't live in another county. It was there I met Braydon Newiadomski, the only other Jehovah's Witness in my grade. We had dinosaurs in common, so of course he became my best friend. Another kid, Caleb Chase, also became a fast friend. Recess was now an opportunity to Save the Universe, and I soon found myself having to translate what made so much sense in my head to other people. Thankfully, even at age 6, they somehow understood concepts such as atmospheric pressure and radiation poisoning as well as I did, which alleviated what could have been confusing scenarios to a point where I only had to explain what I was talking about on rare occasions. Otherwise, I'd just say where we were, what our mission was, and who we were fighting and we'd basically be all set to go.

Now I was playing two games. At home, Josh and I, (and eventually Mac and Zach Comstock) continued to flesh out what I've always felt is the "core" storyline - what would later be titled Terra Eversio. At school, however, I had a created a relatively isolated storyline that involved completely different species, locations, and government.

This post is taking too long to write, so I decided to go ahead and split it into two or three parts. In the next part I will explain how my game became my book, and where Worlds, as a whole, is heading now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers